Author Topic: Mten's Monk DPS guide 2021 Version in the works  (Read 11368 times)

Nten

• Slacker
  • freelance raider
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mten's Monk DPS guide 2021 Version in the works
« on: March 21, 2018, 07:34:13 PM »
Rev 2.1
First lets talk about sustained dps and something commonly overlooked.

Weapons - 2 hand, 1 hand what to use.  A 2 hander adds a lot of defensive skills.  On raids we can't take but a hit or two anyway.
If your aa spendings are equal, 1 handers are about the same as the equivalent 2 handers.  You must attack from the side or behind, preferably at max melee range.  If you don't, you get eaten alive on raids, especially with 1 handers.
Raid weapons are always > group weapons.  The raid 1 handers from CoV are about equal to 2 handers if you don't provide extra procs so why not just go with an ore 2 hander.  If you are dieing to much, always go 2hander.  Death will kill your dps on a raid, so just don't do it.  If you go with 1 handers, be very careful on where I stand.  If I fear death and am messing up, I use 2 hand blunt.  If you don't have a raid 2hb, but have a raid 1h weapon, use that.  This is not a consideration to even think of.  Use your 1 handers and pay attention!  With CoV my 1handers started to be come viable when I got 2-3 extra procs.  Max out your group achievements for ToV and CoV for 2 of them.   Slot 18 / 19 chase loot can get you accuracy which stacks and additional procs.  I have 2 to go and am procing like a mad lizard atm. 

1) Mash buttons! - If someone can't figure out how to bind keys to on screen buttons, I will make an addition for that.
You as a Monk need 4 of them.  I keep my left hand on my mash buttons while the right hand is on the mouse and keep them always in a state of waiting for refresh.
Flying kick and tiger claw show be on auto so you don't have to mash these anymore *dance for joy*
The reason you need 4, is that some do not play well with others bound to the same key.
I use W, A, E and F, Q is auto attack.  I picked these because my hand rests easily on them and you need to continuously press them while fighting.  Not doing this will drop your dps by 1-2 percent compared to the rest of the raid.
W - Bind the following skills
Barrage of Fists
Zelexac's Fang
Icewalker's Synergy
Vigorous Shuriken
Doomwalker's Precision
Firewalker's Precision
Icewalker's Precision
F - Bind the following skills
Curse of the Fifteen Strikes
A - Bind following
Zan Fi's Whistle
E - Bind following
Banestrike
Drunken Monkey

These bound buttons must be pushed constantly, you can not click the buttons fast enough with a mouse to be effective.

------------------------------------------------------Updated this far ---------------------------------------------

2) Shared skills.  Monks stack.  We should be using Two Finger Wasp and Doomwalker's Alliance - Unfortunately we must pay attention to use them properly
I have Gina triggers for both of these.  If you need them ask me.  I have no clue how to make a package file but maybe I can share them to someone that does and they can update this thread.
Two Finger Wasp - this adds skill damage to all monks hitting a mob.  If we have the monks, this should almost always be on.  If you're a tad early, it will overwrite the previous one but no use wasting half the timer
Doomwalker's Alliance - This can not be cast until the prior one is off.  The mob can also resist this.  This trigger gets a bit tricky.  Make sure you wait 1 tick after the trigger ends.  If you don't it may not land and your timer is still used.

3) Discs - ABDs of Discing - Always Be Discing (and hitting your mash buttons)
We have discs that should be used in group with other stuff and stuff to use alone.  The only time I change order is if we need a DPS boost or it won't be alive long enough to see Terror Palm.  My basic order given will allow you to always have a dps disc active.  I will also often move speed focus up set up if I think I may get to use it twice!

SHAMAN EPIC IS GOD - Make sure you are using Speed and Heel just after Shaman Epic goes off.  I can share the Trigger for the Shaman epic or maybe someone better can add it to my guide.

A)  Earthforce - Basic defensive and attack discipline.  This refreshes fast and should be used first and between other discs.  You can even relax a bit during thanks to the defensive part.
B)  Eye of the Storm - In groups you may want to use / save for Shaded step (super defensive on the same timer).  On raids, don't be a wuss, use Eye of the Storm several times per encounter for dps.  After hitting this one it is time for Earthforce again before disc C!
C)  Speed Focus - Pair this with some other clicks.  Used Infusion of Thunder, Destructive or Focused Destructive force (focused only if there are things near by you don't want to hit), and Dicho - This is one of our two great burns.  I can often do this twice on encounters due to the refresh time!  After finishing speed, time for another Earthforce, with possibly Eye of the Storm and Earthforce again after!
D)  Heel of Zagali - This is our best burn, holy heck.  Now you want to blow your load with this one.  Pair this with Tiger's Poise, First Spire, Dicho, Infusion of the Thunder, BP clicky and Silent Strikes.  Make sure you get to this,  If the encounter is going to end too early move this up in your order.  If there is a burn now phase later in the encounter use this then.  If the burn now phase is early in the encounter use Speed Focus for the burn now.  Any of the extra skills that pop back up after Kick kick disc is over, just hit them as they pop.  As SOON Heel is over hit Terror Palm Disc.  This is super important as you still have alot of other skills going that will help terror palm.  After Terror Palm it is time to go back to Earthforce and Eye of the Storm and Earthforce again!
E) Ironfist Disc - This is a lesser disc  that still adds dps and lasts a long time.  Use this one as a filler when nothing else is ready.  Always be Discing!

Note:  You will run out of endurance.  If you don't, you're not doing it right.  Use Imitate Death or FD and Breather.  You need endur or your dps blows!

Mten - Fennin Ro
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 11:08:16 PM by Nten »

Furro

• Global Moderator
  • Pies Anonymous
  • freelance raider
    • View Profile
Re: Mten's Monk DPS guide 2018 Version
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 05:06:14 PM »
Thanks for posting an updated DPS guide Mten!  I sticky posted this, because the other guide is dated; although some of it may still be relevant.

We have several members of Team Monk, it would be nice if you guys (and girls) could get together (in this thread or chat etc) and see who is and isn't on the same page, and share tips.

Thanks! :)

Milobel

• Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 05:05:08 PM »
Almost three years later, is this still valid today?

Another raid monk suggested a burn mash button and a big burn mash button.

I like the disc sequence from this post, so I'll remove discs from them mash buttons and cycle them separately.

I know my big issue is staying alive.  I have moved up from 270k hps to 350k hps and still working on it.  Are there other defensive discs that I should be cycling instead of offensive stuff until my survivability has improved?

Nten

• Slacker
  • freelance raider
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 11:53:00 PM »
Rev 2.0 Archival Copy
First lets talk about sustained dps and something commonly overlooked.

Weapons - 2 hand, 1 hand what to use.  If tanking or in a group situation 2 hander adds alot of defensive skills.  On raids we can't take but a hit or two anyway.
If your aa spendings are equal, 1 handers always beat 2 handers.  You must attack from the side or behind, preferably at max melee range.  If you don't, you get eaten alive on raids.
Raid weapons are always > group weapons.  The raid 1 handers from droga and Queen crush weapons like crush on dps, unless you have alot more 2 hand aa than 1 hand.  Even so, 1 handers will still be slightly better, unless you are dieing to much.  Death will kill your dps on a raid, so just don't do it.  If I want to look fancy and beat the top monks on the server in dps, I go 1 hand and just be very careful on where I stand.  If I fear death and am messing up, I use 2 hand blunt.  If you don't have an eok raid 2hb or better, but have a raid 1hb from droga, this is not a consideration to even think of.  Use your 1 handers and pay attention!

1) Mash buttons! - If someone can't figure out how to bind keys to on screen buttons, I will make an addition for that.
You as a Monk need 4 of them.  I keep my left hand on my mash buttons while the right hand is on the mouse and keep them always in a state of waiting for refresh.
Flying kick and tiger claw show be on auto so you don't have to mash these anymore *dance for joy*
The reason you need 4, is that some do not play well with others bound to the same key.
I use W, A, E and F, Q is auto attack.  I picked these because my hand rests easily on them and you need to continuously press them while fighting.  Not doing this will drop your dps by 1-2 percent compared to the rest of the raid.
W - Bind the following skills
Firestorm of Fists
Hoshkar's Fang
Firewalker's Synergy
Vigorous Shuriken
F - Bind the following skills
Curse of the Thirteen Fingers
A - Bind following
Zan Fi's Whistle
E - Bind following
Banestrike
Drunken Monkey

These bound buttons must be pushed constantly, you can not click the buttons fast enough with a mouse to be effective.

2) Shared skills.  Monks stack.  We should be using Two Finger Wasp and Doomwalker's Alliance - Unfortunately we must pay attention to use them properly
I have Gina triggers for both of these.  If you need them ask me.  I have no clue how to make a package file but maybe I can share them to someone that does and they can update this thread.
Two Finger Wasp - this adds skill damage to all monks hitting a mob.  If we have the monks, this should almost always be on.  If you're a tad early, it will overwrite the previous one but no use wasting half the timer
Doomwalker's Alliance - This can not be cast until the prior one is off.  The mob can also resist this.  This trigger gets a bit tricky.  Make sure you wait 1 tick after the trigger ends.  If you don't it may not land and your timer is still used.

3) Discs - ABDs of Discing - Always Be Discing (and hitting your mash buttons)
We have discs that should be used in group with other stuff and stuff to use alone.  The only time I change order is if we need a DPS boost or it won't be alive long enough to see Terror Palm.  My basic order given will allow you to always have a dps disc active.  I will also often move speed focus up set up if I think I may get to use it twice!

SHAMAN EPIC IS GOD - Make sure you are using Speed and Heel just after Shaman Epic goes off.  I can share the Trigger for the Shaman epic or maybe someone better can add it to my guide.

A)  Earthforce - Basic defensive and attack discipline.  This refreshes fast and should be used first and between other discs.  You can even relax a bit during thanks to the defensive part.
B)  Eye of the Storm - In groups you may want to use / save for Shaded step (super defensive on the same timer).  On raids, don't be a wuss, use Eye of the Storm several times per encounter for dps.  After hitting this one it is time for Earthforce again before disc C!
C)  Speed Focus - Pair this with some other clicks.  Used Infusion of Thunder, Destructive or Focused Destructive force (focused only if there are things near by you don't want to hit), and Dicho - This is one of our two great burns.  I can often do this twice on encounters due to the refresh time!  After finishing speed, time for another Earthforce, with possibly Eye of the Storm and Earthforce again after!
D)  Heel of Zagali - This is our best burn, holy heck.  Now you want to blow your load with this one.  Pair this with Tiger's Poise, First Spire, Dicho, Infusion of the Thunder, BP clicky and Silent Strikes.  Make sure you get to this,  If the encounter is going to end too early move this up in your order.  If there is a burn now phase later in the encounter use this then.  If the burn now phase is early in the encounter use Speed Focus for the burn now.  Any of the extra skills that pop back up after Kick kick disc is over, just hit them as they pop.  As SOON Heel is over hit Terror Palm Disc.  This is super important as you still have alot of other skills going that will help terror palm.  After Terror Palm it is time to go back to Earthforce and Eye of the Storm and Earthforce again!
E) Ironfist Disc - This is a lesser disc  that still adds dps and lasts a long time.  Use this one as a filler when nothing else is ready.  Always be Discing!

Note:  You will run out of endurance.  If you don't, you're not doing it right.  Use Imitate Death or FD and Breather.  You need endur or your dps blows!

Mten - Fennin Ro

Milobel

• Slacker
    • View Profile
Re: Mten's Monk DPS guide 2021 Version in the works
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 11:00:45 AM »
An interesting addition to this guide would be how to effectively use swift tail to regen endurance.

I haven't quite figured it out, but there seems to be a combo that really boosts endurance when done in the right sequence.  Swift tail + big burn using heel perhaps?