Author Topic: Wizard DPS - TBL  (Read 12631 times)

Drogba

• Slacker
    • View Profile
Wizard DPS - TBL
« on: June 12, 2018, 04:28:27 AM »
*******************Updated 08/10/2019**************************************************************************************

I'd like to thank mentors such as Manaelil, Kizant & Yielzen who have helped me a great deal with my wizarding.  Also like to thank Szilent for helping make a number of improvements to this guide.

Cast always, keep your spell bar grey'd out or barely flickering between casts.  Use forces/AA's/clickies between spell casts immediately after your spell fires.  You want to do this quickly in order to not slow down your next cast, or that will hurt your dps.  If you find yourself sometimes stalling spell casts because you're thinking, 'should i cast this or this?' ..Don't.  It's better to cast a less optimal nuke than it is to stop casting.

Items = Use 2 hander with best ice/fire/magic proc augs, only swap to tome of obulus if you are low mana and need to catch back up.  Sodkee's sympathetic Stone fire proc aug, put in your ranged slot.  Sorcerors blade.  CoP IV/CoM IV, a fresh mod rod (i like to click my mod rod when i drop down to abt 85% mana, and then on cooldown as it refreshes).  Purified Mana Tonic, Dragonmagic Focus.  Beastlord/enchanter regen pots when you're either waiting for/or can't get those buffs.  Splinter of Potency (specialize evocation augment).  Eyes of Decay, Bifold Focus of the evil eye, Kiss of Erollisi.

Use GINA triggers for ADPS 
In particular, alliance/chromatic haze/IOG/manaburn(so as not to waste 2 manaburns on the same mob at the same time as someone else).  Others i like are gift of mana, auspice..  I'm more than happy to share my triggers for these. 

Alliance
Alliance is one of our biggest sources of DPS.

Alliance can be done with GINA triggers.  One thing you could do though, if there are a number of wizards, is to communicate a 'loose' order to go in, and if the correct player doesn't cast their alliance after a few seconds of waiting around, then you assume it isn't happening and just jump ahead in the que. 

If you only have 2 wizards in the raid, you can still proc alliance if you have twincast running.  To do this, you can make an audio trigger to inform you when they have twincast on.  "Soandso's detrimental magic splits with Twincast."  When this fires, cast your alliance.

Burning = can hit all of these together if you want to do it the easy way (see notes for what is often the better way):  Arcane Destruction, Frenzied Devastation, Focus of Arcanum, Fury of the Gods, arcane fury, second spire, glyph of the cataclysm, twincast spell.

Spell priority order:  braid > dichotomic > ethereal skyfire > ethereal Icefloe

When twincast runs out, cast improved twincast

Chromatic Haze:  In a perfect world, you want to cast braid with twincast running if haze is on.  This won't always be available to you, if braid is down, cast your best ethereal (fire>ice>magic)

Rather than just hitting EVERYTHING and burning, you can leave out AD/FD/ITC and use the spell version of twincast.  For this little period, claw > braid > wildether barrage > wildspark barrage.  When the spell version of your twincast runs out, you can then jump into FD/AD/ITC & revert to your burn spell lineup.   lv96 and below versions of Wildether are good damage when fury of the gods is running, but it eats too many AD/FD/ITC counters when it quads. 

You can take this a step further and put claw in front of your burn lineup while the spell version of twincast is running, to try and get more twincasts before being forced into activating ITC.

After braid, Alliance, Dissident, use forceful rejuvenation.

If you have limited Auspice, you can burn without using AD/FD, then hit them later when Auspice is down.  This way you keep your crit chance up high for a longer duration over the course of the event for a better overall parse.

Use Cryomancy.  When burns are done, in most cases you will no longer be using your cold nuke,  so outside of burns, use pyromancy. 

Although Dissident cannot be twincast, it is still worth casting during improved twincast.  It doesn't eat its counters.  You're aiming to use as many FD/AD counters on braid/twincasted ethereals/dissident as possible.

Secondary burn? =  if the event lasts 12 minutes, you can get in a secondary burn with frenzied devastation/second spire/cataclysm/twincast spell>sorcerors blade click ---how much you use here can be more or less, depending on how short the event is.  IOG should be back up in time for this.

Non-Burn (When FD/AD & ITC are down):

Spell priority order = fire claw > braid > cloudburst thunderbolt / Dissident > fire ethereal

When twincast + fury of the gods are on = fire claw > braid > wildether barrage(lv96 spell.  when twincasting it can quad)>wildspark barrage.

do not use barrage when the AD/FD/ITC is running, as it eats many counters.

Alliance & Vortex need to fit in as well, i manually cast these.  Try to cast them as much as possible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ALL-FIRE Variant
If you have both of the casting fire type 18/19 augments, you may want to instead go with an all fire lineup.  Another benefit to this is that you can always be using pyromancy, and not have to deal with being rooted from cloudburst casts.  The damage from those aug procs can be a little bit more dps.  The only thing to change here is to use flashchar over cloudburst, and a second fire ethereal over the cold etherealFlashchar also jumps into the burn lineup now, after ethereal skyfire but before ethereal skyblaze.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving Around
When moving on an event, try to use netherstep so you can keep chain-casting without stopping.  Another way around this is to load flashburn and cast that while running.  Cloudburst thunderbolt sometimes roots you, and beam sometimes blinds you.  If you are intending on using these spells, you need to be prepared to deal with their side effects.  If I am to risk casting cloudburst thunderbolt, and it roots me, then i need to be prepared to netherstep if i get a run away emote.  If am to risk casting Burning Beam, and It blinds me, i need to be prepared to open my map and use that to guide me as I run away.

Maintaining Mana Mod Rods/CoMIV/BP clicky/Gambit/AA Harvest/Horn of Unity.

Note:  Use Gambit instead of harvest spell.  Ethereals/Dissident/braid will not proc the counters on it, so be mindful to use spells that will when it is running, such as:  claws/vortex/cloudburst/flashfire/wildflash/wildether barrage/ae nukes etc.  Do not use gambit during burns, unless you're utterly desperate for mana, it will hurt your dps.  Infact, if you are confident that you will have enough mana to last the rest of the event, you can avoid gambit & the AA harverst entirely.

If you're still struggling for mana, or have just been rezzed, you can swap in your tome of obulus, and my spell priority order changes to: claw(praying for gambit refreshes)>braid>wildflash strike > wildether barrage    (you can leave out wildflash strike/wildether barrage for one of your other regular spells, if things aren't that desperate.)

Another way to look at this, is to note the spells that DO cost alot of mana, and to reduce your casting of those (Dichotomic/alliance/ethereals/cloudburst thunderbolt/Flashchar)

Avoid casting forces until your mana gets back to a healthy place

Carry clarity, spirituality & purified mana tonic potions, and use them after a death.  You can also redo some of your self buffs which boost mana regen

most AE spells don't cost alot of mana, and can be used also.

You can create some tell hotkeys with the names of the clerics in the raid, to ask if they can cast a QM on you.  Then if mana is going to be a problem, thats something you can hit quickly without slowing down your casts.  I have a few of these that i change the names for each night, depending which clerics are on.  While it can be frustrating to feel like a nag, many clerics are more than happy to hit you with QM.  Personally when I am cleric'ing, i'm delighted to receive a tell asking for QM, because normally noone does and it just goes to waste.

AE's
If going full AE mode,

Spell priority order is: claw > beam > splash of pyroxene > splash of phenocrysts > splash of rhyolite > self combustion > if 7+ mobs Wheel of Flame, if 6 or less mobs Skyfire Pillar

Drop claw if running ITC.  You can throw in dichotomic & braid as well, i usually cast it before wheel/pillar.  You want to be standing on top of the pile of mobs for spells like splash & self combustion to be most effective.  Wheel of Flame can be cast right after beam if dealing with a full extended target window of mobs.

Burning Beam  On most events, you want to load Burning BeamBurning Beam is a fantastic frontal AE spell, and is worth casting even if there are only 2 mobs to hit with it, regardless of whether you are burning or not.  It has a small range, and you need to be careful with it, because it can cause blindness on you, it requires you to get pretty close to the mobs to ensure you hit them as well.  If you have 2+ mobs at all times, then i place it before/after braid in both my burn and non burn lineup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone ever wants to talk shop, or compare casts on gamparse to try to see what went right/wrong after a raid, I'm more than happy to oblige.

Things I still need to do on this write up (kind of a self reminder):

-Include a list of raid NPC's that are either fire/cold/magic resistant or particularly weak to fire/cold/magic.
-Spell priority orders/options for specific magic-type resistant mobs.
-List a spell priority order for mobs that reflect spells, such as the Sarnak in Lceanium
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 09:25:28 AM by Drogba »

Furro

• Global Moderator
  • Pies Anonymous
  • freelance raider
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard DPS - RoS
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 05:51:01 PM »
Thanks for posting a current expansion (RoS) Wizard DPS guide, Drogba!  I've sticky posted this topic.

We sport several members of Team Wizard.  It'd be ideal if they would also chime in with their thoughts/feedback.

Btw, I know you mentioned this post in our channels, Drogba, that helps get the word out as well.  Thanks! :)

Edit: Un-stickied the TBM topic, as RoS is the current expansion.  If there are facets of the TBM version still relevant, anyone can reply to this thread and it'll be in one area then.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 03:44:49 PM by Furro »

Drogba

• Slacker
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard DPS - RoS
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 07:25:03 AM »
This is a video of me playing the wizard in a pickup group.  Main thing here is to try and keep casting as much as possible. 

https://youtu.be/jVdkg8inXmM

Mana got pretty low, so in this group i bandolier swapped to my mana recovery set, started casting lower mana cost nukes, and my mana bar started moving in the other direction so I could burn again later :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 09:25:02 AM by Drogba »