Author Topic: How to Ranger *Claws of Veeshan Edition*  (Read 29691 times)

Fintank

• Slacker
  • freelance raider
    • View Profile
    • Email
How to Ranger *Claws of Veeshan Edition*
« on: June 15, 2018, 11:38:11 PM »
Let's go over the basics first before we get into the girth of rangering.

Spell Set:

The first 7 spells should ALWAYS be on your hotbar, casting is the backbone of ranger DPS in this game. The last 6 slots you can do whatever you need to with them depending on events but my spell set is generally always the same and is what I have below. You'll notice I have 2 Summer's loaded. Sometimes when using this multi-bind your cast will fire before the CD has been reached on Summer's and it will skip to the next spell, since I use the same bind keys on all my characters I have the next best Summer's loaded to stop myself from randomly wasting Covenant or casting the DoT.

1. Marked Shots
2. Focused Blizzard of Arrows
3. Composite Fusillade
4. Summer's Sleet
5. Summer's Tempest
6. Ice burrower Swarm
7. Wildstalker's Coalition
8. Desperate Meltwater
9. Wakening Balm
10. Meltwater Spring
11. Flex
12. Flex
13. Flex

MULTI-BIND TIME! The way I have my spell key setup is just going down the list basically. So for spells 1-5 all the arrow nukes will fire whenever they pop up and then once all are on cool down Summer's will be cast over and over.  I manually click Ice Burrower Swarm, you're going to want to keep this on the boss and adds as much as your mana will allow, it's a chunky DoT now but does take some mana. Be smart about it with its global cooldown. If 1 of your arrow nukes is about to pop up, wait to hit this till they're all on comfortable cool downs.

Combat Abilities:

Kick
Jolting Axe Kicks
Focused Blizzard of Blades
Blizzard of Blades
Reflexive Rimespurs

MULTI-BIND TIME! I have another key that is DIFFERENT from my spell key. The reason for this is because you want to be casting spells when they’re up and using combat abilities during the universal cooldown. Spells are more DPS, combat abilities are to fill the gap with something “semi-meaningful”. My Combat Ability key has the following abilities on it: Kick, Jolting Cut Kicks, and Focused Storm of Blades. Focused Gale of Blades is lower damage and single target as opposed to Blizzard of Blades. I keep Focused in always to avoid mez breaks, I manually click Blizzard of Blades when we're not mezzing and I can position myself to line up mobs (Blizzard is frontal, caps at 8 targets.) Reflexive Rimespurs I use as a HoT for the group if together we are low a lot, otherwise I hit it during the main burn whilst all the adps are running for added damage.

Group Makeups:

Group makeups are important for rangers and ever changing depending on AFK's, late comers, odd groupings for events etc. Generally speaking your normal group ADPS will be a Shaman, Bard and Beastlord. With that in mind you should acquaint yourself with their various ADPS abilities/spells and what they do for you. Druids and Enchanters will also be thrown into the mix some times but to a lesser extent. It's possible that you may find yourself "thrown to the wolves" and just be shit out of luck for ADPS. But, it wouldn't hurt to have a plan for when/if that happens. As far as your personal burns they will not change much at all. BUT you will have to vigorously conserve mana as well as you can while actively spamming still. For example don't DoT unless you have a gift of mana proc, and try and hold off on Dissident for a few seconds for a gift of mana proc. This also applies when you don't have a bard, not just for when you're groupless/ADPSless. Do the best you can at keeping your Miniature Horn of Unity, Mod Rod, and Mana Potions on cool down. You'll also find it in your best interest to make several hotkeys to several different people for Paragons and Quiet Prayers. The way I do it is as soon as I hit 90% mana send a tell for paragon, as soon as I hit 70% I send a tell for QP. You can hold off on Paragon a bit but it's imperative to get that QM timer on you as soon as possible so you can have 2 in an event as opposed to 1. This all of course depends if the clerics need to save it for themselves. For Paragons I've found it's better to just cycle through beast lords, don't just hammer 1 person for it the whole event.

Empowered Blades + Arbor Stalker's Discipline:

Now the best route to take in using a disc like Arbor Stalker's or Empowered Blades is to use them with hundred hands effects. The reason behind this is that both of these discs just add a FLAT amount of damage to weapon strikes, further augmentation of the strikes has no affect on Arbor Stalker's or Empowered Blades. However the rate at which you swing your weapons IS important when maximizing your gains from both. Weapon delay scaling goes off your base delay and will not affect HHE's.

The Burnering:

This is where coordination of everyone else and yourself are going to come in so buckle up! Now as far as ADPS goes, as soon as you see shaman epic go off you go buck wild on arrow nukes (assuming all your personal burns are running at that time of course.) I try to hit my burns as best I can based on duration time especially if we're hitting them before we trigger a flash burn type mob. So here's a run down of how I press my burns most of the time:

Auspice (Don’t go out of rotation, this may already be running)
Pureshot
Scarlet Cheetah Fang
Outrider's Accuracy
Spire of the Pathfinders
Imbued Ferocity
Glyph (In absence of shaman epic / when shaman epic fades)
Guardian of the Forest (Once Outrider's Accuracy fades)
Group Guardian of the Forest (Once Guardian of the Forest fades) [Be sure to check for Group Bestial Alignment first, it is slightly better and base hit mods don't functionally stack]

Things to keep split up for Sustained DPS. These are things you can combine for a slightly larger Burn in the few circumstances where the event lasts less than 2 minutes.

Hit Damage Mods:
Guardian of the Forest {90%}
Outrider’s Accuracy {80%}
Group Guardian of the Forest {47%}
Hunter’s Fury (Killshot Proc) {55%}
Group Bestial Alignment (Beastlord ADPS) {55%}

Critical Hit Damage Mod:
Prophet’s Gift of the Ruchu (Shaman Epic) {110%}
Glyph of Destruction {60%}

Critical Melee Chance %
Falcon Strike (Epic 2.0) {170%}
Auspice of the Hunter {225%}
Circle of Power (1-4) {40, 80, 120, 130%}
Provoked Effect (Killshot Proc) {354, 358, 362%}
Cry Carnage (Berserker ADPS) {100%}

Keep Poison Arrows on at all times. They clipped its wings to the point where its consumption of mana isn't noticeable whatsoever, and doesn't consume a debuff slot now.

Perhaps the most important thing you will have to do every raid is take control of your ADPS. YOU run the show. The main thing you want to control is getting Quick Time for Pureshot’s duration and Bard’s Spire for Scarlet Cheetah Fang. Everything else in regards to Shaman Epic, Bard Epic, Fierce Eye etc should be hit on CD. Aside from lining up your full burn you need to continue your CD's regardless of your ADPS. Rangers are a sustaining class, trying to line up certain abilities with ADPS does very little for us once we've gone through our burst (Scarlet/Pureshot). The only worthwhile semi-coordinating to do after the full burn is trying to use Imbued/Spire/Auspice together. This will more than likely be dependent on the other rangers in the raid maintaining the Auspice rotation.

Forceful Rejuvenation:

If you plan on using Forceful Rejuvenation during your main burn what I do is use it after the 4th arrow nuke. So it'll look something like this:

Wildstalker's Coalition
Marked Shots
Focused Blizzard of Arrows
Composite Fusillade
Ice Burrower Swarm
Summer's
Summer's
*Forceful Rejuvenation
Wildstalker's Coalition
Marked Shots
Composite Fusillade

Auspice:

This is in it's own sub section because it’s special (Oooh Ahhh). With Auspice it should always be on during the main burn and for the majority of the raid as a whole depending on how many rangers are there. Everyone should load a TB so that for long events multiple rangers can MGB Auspice twice. As simple as hitting TB before the event starts and refraining from hitting Shout until you’ve used your Spice.

Survivability:

Rangers are agro whores, it's a hard truth but the sooner you get used to it the better you'll be at controlling your agro. We have 4 defensive discs/abilities, 1 agro drop, 1 buff and 1 fade.

Outrider's Evasion
Protection of the Spirit Wolf
Bulwark of the Brownie
Chameleon's Gift
Cover Tracks (Fade)
Weaponshield Discipline
Outrider's Ever-Burning Cloak

I use Chameleon's Gift and Bulwark of the Brownie in a similar fashion. Chameleon's Gift is a 40k agro drop from whatever mob drops you below 50%. You will also get a buff on you for 36s that decreases your agro generation by 60%. This can also be used on other players so if you see someone climbing like a Berserker it may be better used on them. Bulwark on the other hand will fire 9-15 seconds of full frontal parry if you get dropped below 40%. I try my best to use both of these before I burn or for when I'm climbing up the agro list considerably fast, I try and use Cover Tracks as little as possible since it consumes mana now. Outrider's Evasion is minimal in the grand scheme of defensive disciplines but it works well enough to be useful on adds in an event, not so much for the main bosses. Protection of the Spirit Wolf however will be useful on a main boss for a round or 2, as the damage cap will be absorbed quickly. It also works for spell damage, not just melee damage! 55% mitigated up to a max of 300k damage for any of you curious types! Weaponshield is a whole different story, you may have to cover an add cause tanks are down or cover the boss while the MTO gets buffed. Outrider's Ever-Burning Cloak is a full up time 15% mitigation buff we get, keep it on always.

Auging:

Heroic Dexterity is the top thing to worry about as a ranger. For slot 3 augs you'll want to get 3 Spell Focus augs (Summer's, Ice Burrower, Jolting), Luminous Restless Ice (ToV Missions), and the rest of the slots there are LDON Heroic Strength augs. For your bow you'll want to get the Venomous Tear (8 DMG + 750 Proc) and the Reactive Velium Infused Gem of Striking (15 DMG + 1600 Proc). As of Torment of Velious (Continuing into Claws of Veeshan) we are back to MELEEing outside of Pureshot discipline provided you can keep your Crit Chance % multipliers running smoothly and have a Bard in group. The best weapon to use is Velium Endowed Great Mace/Velium Threaded Great Mace (Raid/Group depending on if you raid or not). Reactive Velium Threaded Gem of Devastation is your top DMG aug to use in it. This 2hander is also the best DPS option to use during Pureshot for sympathetic proc DPS, the combined mana return of Cone + Tome is overall less than the added DPS of the 2HP procs.

Silent Strikes - Silent Strikes is still relatively useless as far as I've seen and most of the time. I do have it in a burn hotkey which I can share with the rest of you if you'd like. Basically have it in there because there was an empty slot and why not. While Silent Strikes isn't good it does reduce agro somewhat, it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25% it seems so it's not completely useless.

DoT's - Ice Burrower Swarm is amazing, if at all possible you should keep this up on anything and everything. Don't ever use the low damage DoT with a DS reflection on raid bosses. It is a debuff slot fully wasted. The DS is NOT worth it in a raiding environment, I even have it blocked on my warrior for buff slot preservation.

Elemental Arrow - Season's Wrath will now block Elemental Arrow from landing, they didn't functionally stack beforehand so no biggie. However, both are on a 1m duration/recast. Druids should be keeping Season's Wrath on the boss full time and Rangers can best serve by peppering in Elemental Arrow on adds.

BP Clickies - These clickies will typically be flat damage that does roughly the same amount of damage no matter when you use it. Since it has an up time of around 3 minutes I hit mine before we start and make sure to get in a 2nd click towards the event's end to max out on damage capabilities. Some people use the old mana regen clickie from COTF, DON'T. This is a net DPS loss, you're trading 1.34M damage for 7.5k mana AND a DPS DEBUFF for 30 seconds. Overall it's a net loss, scrap that garbage and stick to the new damage clickie.

Tribute/Trophy - Here's the Tribute and Trophies I use! Arm of the Hero, Eyes of the Hunter, Fury of Combat, Hero's Deftness, Juggler's Grace all at max rank.
Lost Wayfarer's Tent, Replice of the Qeynos Claymore, Scavenger's Prize, Trophy of Duality, Temple Torchery, Trophy of the Breeding Grounds, Mortal's Ethereal Wonder and Rallos Zek's Axe Replica. Basically max out on Heroic Dexterity with your trophies.

Potions - Crystal Mana Tonic: Decrease the mana cost of spells by 5%. (Doesn’t stack with Empowered Banner Buff or Circle of Mana)
Restless Focus: 12k sympathetic DD proc (Poison resist) on nukes/DoTs, can trigger on each portion of Summer's (1 cast can be 2 procs).
Salubrious Smoothie: 105 mana regen that stacks with everything, only available during Anniversary.
Crusader's Tonic: About 5k mana per click.
Velium Fortified Drink: Increase to stats, will do slightly more DMG but this potion is not a noticeable difference.

Powersources - I use DPS powersources always. Some people make arguments for the tank ones cause “dead DPS do no DPS”, stupid argument. Fact of the matter is, your job is to DPS. Is it HIGHLY UNLIKELY the MINOR stat bump you get going to a tank powersource will at any point save your life. Velium Assaulter Source > Enchanted Dragon Scales > All other sources.

Special Clickies - Rod of Dark Rites, Bifold Focus of the Evil Eye, Mantle of Inasch, Rage of Rolfron, Kiss of Erollisi Marr, Miniature Horn of Unity and Unified Phoenix Feather.
     Rod of Dark Rites - Best used during Scarlet to load up multiple mobs with Ice Burrower Swarm. If there aren't multiple mobs to do this with blow it on Ice Burrower, Dissident Fusillade and Wildstalker's Covenant.
     Bifold Focus of the Evil Eye - Only ever use this on Ice Burrower Swarm, it is the absolute most bang for your buck. You can even combine it with a gift of mana proc for maximum savagery.
     Mantle of Inasch - Circle of Mana 4, used for relatively obvious reasons. Don't double up on Circle clicks, check your song window first.
     Rage of Rolfron - Circle of Power 4, used to fill a crit gap that is relatively hard up in occuring. Typically more CoP clicks than Mana on raids.
     Kiss of Erollisi Marr - 10k mana click once a day, pick your favorite parsing event basically!
     Miniature Horn of Unity - 600 Mana Regen per tick for 5 ticks. Doesn’t stack with Unified Phoenix Feather.
     Unified Phoenix Feather - 1k Mana Regen per tick for 5 ticks.

Intensity of the Resolute - This is a 55% Hit Damage mod and also a spell critical chance mod for us. I've found it's best used when split dotting mobs. It alone takes us to 90% DD and 85% DoT crit chance. If you use it for DoT's and also time it around your Guardians and Outrider's AA's you can really squeeze the max from it.

Slot 18/19 Augs - For the slot 18/19 augs in the evolving items here is what I focus on getting. 4 Melee Procs (Ice+Fire/Magic) > 2 Sympathetic Procs (Ice) > 2 Attackers > 4 Enhancements. Once you get maxed out mostly it is in your best interest now to drop the Evolving Gloves and upgrade to CoV raid gloves for the Ice damage focus.

Belt Focus - With the addition of Torment of Velious there is an aug upgrade to Velium Infused Gem of Security that gives you the option of adding the Boon focus to it (500 DMG added to procs). I believe using this in conjunction with the caster belt focus (Treaded Boon of Potential) is the optimal route vs using the sympathetic aug. If we ever return to being a base Archery all the time class then the Sympathetic Aug will pull ahead of the Boon Proc focus.

I have included the triggers I use when playing my ranger below. They may or may not be for some people but they are available. Auspice is not included in them as I have a different folder for it with the way I run it on raids. If anyone is curious in setting it up I'd be more than willing to help.

Ranger Discord (Very freshly made at the time of update) https://discord.gg/84KKsvRP73
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 03:33:40 AM by Fintank »

Furro

• Global Moderator
  • Pies Anonymous
  • freelance raider
    • View Profile
Re: How to Ranger *Ring of Scale Edition*
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 05:18:20 PM »
Thanks for posting a recent expansion (RoS) version for Ranger DPS, Fintank!  I sticky posted this topic, although Minisca's may still have relevant information, such as the hotkey diagrams, etc.

We sport several members of Team Ranger.  It would be nice to get them all involved in this thread, and replying with their feedback/tips as well.

Thanks! :)

Drisdan

• Slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 03:42:57 PM »
Banestrike is now passive and why have a kick button when you can /autoskill kick

Fintank

• Slacker
  • freelance raider
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 12:00:09 AM »
The dragons in T3 events allow you to be in range for Kick and /autofire, the autoskill for Kick does not fire with auto fire active only with regular auto attack. Banestrike removed.

PinkRanger

• Slacker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 04:42:02 AM »
Nice writeup... except I still use TDS mana regen BP for quick mana regen after rez should it become avail while rezfx are on, and it is more than viable to have in your arsenal for group and raid settings.  After rez, best to hit Hiatus + Poison proc potion and melee using endu + combat ability mash key... while rebuffing and allowing mana to regen.  You're already taking a hit to haste along w all the other penalties, might as well combine it with Emp Ganak Familiar and whatever other no mana cost mana regen's avail while under rez fx, so you can rebuff etc.  no sense blowing any ADPS clicks w rezfx on unless its more beneficial to rest of group... spire, group guardian etc.  To each their own... but I still rock the shit out of it =) 

Fintank

• Slacker
  • freelance raider
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 05:19:56 AM »
I assume you meant the COTF mana regen BP since that's the only one there is for us in recent years, TDS was back to lightning procs. Just going off of base returns it's less DPS than just using your current expansion BP click. Highest form of Revitalizing Torpor returns a total of 7500 mana, highest form of Natural Alignment does 750k damage. 7500 mana is going to net you roughly 4 casts of Summer's, which with good RNG is going to be roughly 500-600k damage total WITH sympathetic potion procs. So it's more efficient to spend no mana for 750k damage than spend roughly 7500 mana for well, less.

Obviously there are going to be exceptions like Arrow Nukes or tossing in a Dichotomic cast, however the most cast spell is Summer's so it's best to go off of that as your baseline spell. Along with that, the debuff side of Revitalizing Torpor is going to decrease the damage your arrow nukes and regular nukes do whilst it's on. So again, you're doing less DPS even more inefficiently in this time period whilst trying to regain mana, this is only exacerbated by rez affects if you have just died as well. That 750k damage off the new BP clickies is always going to be there, unless on an off chance it gets resisted which doesn't seem to happen at all. (for me anyway)

PinkRanger

• Slacker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 01:11:20 PM »
Maybe I shouldve signed -Spriggenx!!! then you wouldn't assume cotf an realize my slacker ass still uses the castaway bp like a bawss!! lol. Think its like 6k mana?? you'd know better than me =)  Iono man... I prefer the mana personally cuz its more versatile than just flat dmg.  An w all the adps running, by time rez fx wear depending on mob health etc etc etc; situational as I mentioned... bonecrawler, alliance, or a dicho just seem more effective.  I prefer to use proc bp... but I do still use my slacker tds bp quite a bit!  lawlz

Huevos

• Pie Thief
  • freelance raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 05:58:44 PM »
Maybe I shouldve signed -Spriggenx!!! then you wouldn't assume cotf an realize my slacker ass still uses the castaway bp like a bawss!! lol. Think its like 6k mana?? you'd know better than me =)  Iono man... I prefer the mana personally cuz its more versatile than just flat dmg.  An w all the adps running, by time rez fx wear depending on mob health etc etc etc; situational as I mentioned... bonecrawler, alliance, or a dicho just seem more effective.  I prefer to use proc bp... but I do still use my slacker tds bp quite a bit!  lawlz

I use the mana more so to get rebuffed. You will do 0 dps if you die again.

Fintank

• Slacker
  • freelance raider
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 06:28:55 PM »
Updated for Torment of Velious. Gina trigger package added on the bottom.

Fintank

• Slacker
  • freelance raider
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to Ranger *Claws of Veeshan Edition*
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 03:35:13 AM »
Updated for Claws of Veeshan. A few amendments/additions to old sections. Many spell name updates, the tone of the post is the same overall. Ranger Discord link added at the bottom and fresh trigger package attached that has a few newer things I started monitoring.